Charlotte is a city where film dreams can come to life, as many starstruck fans can attest.
There’s more than stargazing going on in the Queen City, however; the financial impact of the ability to bump into Will Ferrell at Lowe’s Motor Speedway or order coffee alongside Claire Danes cannot be denied.
A recent change to North Carolina law could lead to more celebrity and economic activity in the Queen City as industry players come to town to work and play.
Let’s take a look at some of the movies and TV shows that have been filmed in the Charlotte area and filming sites you might recognize.
- Synopsis: Based on a true story in which four men attempt a perfect plan for an art heist.
- Filming in the area included Charlotte and Davidson.
- Rain scenes were filmed at Fifth and Tryon streets (on a sunny day). Scenes were also filmed at Queens University and in Plaza Midwood.
- Synopsis: A young, black girl growing up in the early 1900s suffers abuse from her father and has her children taken from her.
- Filming in the area included Charlotte and Marshville.
- Head to Marshville to visit some downtown sites from the movie. The general store is located at North White Street at East Medlin Street, and the barber shop is on North White Street.
- Synopsis: Cole Trickle is a hot-shot NASCAR driver with an attitude.
- Filming in the area included Charlotte.
- The character Rowdy Burns was loosely based on Dale Earnhardt. Tom Cruise stayed in Rick Hendrick’s Lake Norman house while learning everything about NASCAR. Some scenes were filmed at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- Synopsis: Youths must participate in a televised fight-to-the-death until only one remains.
- Filming in the area included Charlotte, Shelby and Concord.
- The Philip Morris Cabarrus Plant in Concord was used for scenes from the capitol and The Knight Theater was where pre-game interviews were filmed. The tributes’ entrance was filmed at the Charlotte Convention Center.
- Synopsis: After a football team loses their sponsorship, a player convinces a college football hero to play on the team.
- Filming in the area included Charlotte and Salisbury.
- Charlotte’s skyline was portrayed as Chicago’s skyline in the 1920s. Scenes include shots of Salisbury Station, including the inside of the train depot.
- Synopsis: Southerners plan a heist during a NASCAR race.
- Filming in the area included Concord.
- The crime takes place at the Charlotte Motor Speedway during Coca-Cola 600 weekend — and it was filmed during the real Coca-Cola 600.
- Synopsis: After an epic all-night adventure, Quentin’s crush, Margo, disappears, leaving clues behind.
- Filming in the area included Concord, Denver, Kannapolis and Mooresville.
- High school scenes were filmed at Central Cabarrus High School — during school hours.
- Synopsis: After the murder of his son, farmer Benjamin Martin leads the Colonial Militia during the American Revolution.
- Filming in the area included South Carolina’s Chester, Historic Brattonsville in McConnells, Rock Hill and York.
- In Brattonsville, you’ll recognize Hightower Hall as well as several other buildings in the movie.
- Synopsis: The sequel to “Carrie” revolves around Rachel Lang’s ability to move things with her mind.
- Filming in the area included Charlotte and Dallas in North Carolina, and Rock Hill in South Carolina.
- Scenes were filmed at Winthrop University and North Gaston High School.
- Synopsis: Hal only dates women who are physically beautiful, until a self-help guru helps him see inner beauty.
- Filming in the area included Charlotte and Concord.
- Hal’s apartment in the movie was filmed in Concord. The Capital Grill and Bank of America Headquarters were also featured in the film. Hal ponders his dating choices in Freedom Park and he shares a shake with Rosemary at Pike’s Soda Shop.
- Synopsis: A small, North Carolina town faces the dangerous aftermath after two racially charged shootings.
- Filming in the area included Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia, Kannapolis and Mooresville.
- The drug deal that takes place in N.C. State’s library was actually filmed at Johnson C. Smith University’s James B. Duke Memorial Library.
- Synopsis: The true story of Captain Chesley Sullenberger, who landed a plane on the Hudson River during an emergency in 2009.
- Filming in the area included Charlotte.
- The flight simulator scenes were filmed at American Airlines’ Charlotte Douglas International Airport training facility.
- Synopsis: Ricky Bobby is a NASCAR stock car racing sensation being challenged by French Formula One driver, Jean Girard.
- Filming in the area included Concord and Lake Norman.
- The Lake Norman house that was used during filming as Ricky Bobby’s home recently sold for $4M. Texas Motor Speedway and Ricky Bobby’s comeback trials scenes were filmed at Lowe’s Motor Speedway.
- Synopsis: An ex-con steals the identity of a murdered sheriff.
- Filming in the area included Charlotte, Monroe, Mooresville and Waxhaw.
- The fictional Miles Diner was located in downtown Mooresville.
- Synopsis: Carrie Mathison, a CIA operations officer, suspects an American prisoner has been converted to Al-Qaeda.
- Filming in the area included Charlotte, Concord and Mooresville.
- The cabin where Carrie and Brody shared a love scene is in Mooresville. Carrie’s apartment is on Poplar Street in Charlotte. Saul’s house is on Mountainbrook Road. The newsroom scene was filmed in the former Charlotte Observer newsroom.
- Synopsis: After becoming convinced that his wife and mother are possessed, Kyle Barnes sets out to help those possessed by demons while dealing with neighbors who think he is the bad guy.
- Filming in the area included South Carolina’s Chester, Rock Hill and York.
- A mural depicting the fictional Rome, West Virginia, was created on the side of a building at Congress and Liberty streets in York, near the “Rome Police Department.”
Featured photo: Courtesy of Davidson College
By Melissa Oyler June 20, 2018